Who is D League for? This league is for any girl in the 2016-2018 birth years who can swing a bat and is interested in softball. This age level is really where we want the girls to fall in love with softball and have a ton of fun. We encourage both sides to cheer for every player to make sure the girls know that fun is the most important thing.
What type of ball? We use an 11-inch softy. This is a bouncy, softer ball that we use with all our younger girls.
Where are the games? The games are all played at Traverse Heights Elementary School.
What are the special rules? There are many to help meet the goals of the league.
- The biggest one is no one is allowed to keep score.
- We do encourage coaches to allow outs to occur and remove the runners when they happen (about 3-6 times per game). This is more to reward the defense for making a play than it is to punish the batter. If you know your child cannot handle getting out, to begin with, make sure your coach knows and they can leave them on base.
- All runners must stop running when the ball is in the infield.
- All batters bat every inning, so outs don’t matter either.
- D League only plays 3 or 4 innings and generally goes very fast.
- Each batter gets 5 pitches from the coach, then gets 3 swings to hit the ball in play off the Tee before they are called out.
This really is a great league to teach girls the skills of softball without any pressure. By starting early, we hope to increase the overall softball skill level in the Grand Traverse Region for the future. It all starts here!!