Who is the C League for? The birth years are 2014, 2015, and 2016 (ages 8-10 years old). This league is an introduction to player-pitch softball and competition. There is still very much an emphasis on developing skills and enjoyment of the game.
What type of ball is used? We use an 11-inch softy. This is a bouncy, softer ball that we use with all our younger girls.
Where are the games? The games are all played at Traverse Heights Elementary School.
What are the special rules? There are a significant amount of rule adaptations that have been made to support the introduction, learning, and fun we want to accomplish in this league.
- There are no walks. Instead, after ball 4 the coach comes in and pitches 3 pitches to their player. If the batter does not put any of those pitches in play, they are out.
- Once the ball is in possession in the infield, players can only advance to the next base if they are between bases.
- All girls must play 2 innings in the infield.
- There is a 5-run maximum per inning.
- Extra Innings will be played if the game is tied after 5 innings and time has not expired. International tie-breaker rules will be used.
This is an introductory league. Our older middle and high school girls serve as umpires to show that it should be a laid-back league about learning more than winning and losing. Though we do keep score and crown champions here just as in the older leagues for the experience.
* It is a slower-paced game to help teach the girls how to play.